Thursday, March 31, 2016

End of Day #11 (2016): Mural painting at the School of the Integrated Arts in Santa Ana, Costa Rica.

Day #11 (2016): Mural painting at the School of the Integrated Arts in Santa Ana, Costa Rica. 

Touching up and putting the final protective coating on the now painted overhead concrete beam (viga).  Having to work around security cameras, but surrounding the side door of the building with murals did bring it together, I think.   This last detail took much longer than I thought, in part because I was partially blocking the doorway with scaffolding and so had awkward access.  Done now.  Whew.  



Why birds?  Aside from obvious symbolic reasons, one day last year I was struggling with what to paint when pigeon poop landed at my feet.  Many nest over the site of this last stretch of murals.  Sometimes they land on the patio and sit, unafraid.  Add to that, the winds on site, particularly in the morning makes the birds fly around, often hovering, sometimes diving here and there.  Inspiration comes sometimes in obvious ways.  In any case, I used an abstraction of birds as a motif and a shameless decorative element.  

The opening of my watercolor show is tonight and then a little packing up tomorrow and I fly back to Oregon on Saturday. 

See more of my work at www.mills-pinyas.com






No comments:

Post a Comment